by Tara Osipoff on August 20, 2013
5 Trends I Love in Fall Menswear for 2013
1) Scarves are always a fall favourite for accessorizing your look. This year in menswear they are making a bold appearance. The trend for 2013 is not big or small, it’s bold, as long as it makes a statement it will be on point.
2) We love to wear the earth tones when fall rolls around. This year we are taking a different approach to colour in fall fashion. Maroon is the trend this season. The head to toe maroon look is being worn from the runway to the streets. If full maroon is too much for you, choose a statement piece like a blazer or take it down to an accent piece with a tie. Anything goes as long as the colour makes an appearance.
3) The Pyjama top. Okay, the trend isn’t at all suggesting you roll out of bed and head out for the day. It is the opposite in fact. This fall the hot look is taking Pyjama inspired prints and putting them on your most stylish cut blazers. It is a vintage smokers jacket look. Elegant, classy and bold prints inspired by the most lavish pyjamas in fashion history.
4) Trends are known to repeat themselves and appear in an evolved new look. We are seeing that this year with camo in menswear. From backpacks to blazers, camo is the print that is being worn with every type of look, from casual to formal. You can dress up your look with a sleek camo blazer or take it to a simple splash of the print with a scarf or tie.
5) Polish up your hiking boots guys, this falls trend has your boots paired with everything from suits to khaki’s. Wear your favourite pair of hikers to your next event with a sleek suit and be the guy who is on point this fall. Or pair them with a cool pair of casual pants, a knit sweater and a stylish scarf for a simpler version of the trend. Either way, make sure your boots look clean and fresh, otherwise you will just look lazy and frumpy – not on trend.
by jessicamcleod on August 15, 2013
It’s full on summer, and I can’t help but notice all the beauty in my surroundings. Living in the Cowichan Valley, I get to enjoy mountains and the ocean, loads of greenery, and right now – beautiful flowers. However, we’ve been having some grey weather here on the left coast lately. I say, if the sun won’t shine, then you definitely should. Please note, this takes no longer than putting on regular clothes.
My favourite trick this summer for maximum impact in the least amount of moves involves a) Sequins (even during the day) and b) Lipstick. Especially during the day. The thing about lipstick is that it adds instant polish and can stand on its own as an entire look. It also means you only have one product to carry around for reapplication (and MAC’s matte finish lipsticks last for hours on end). It’s a low maintenance approach to a high maintenance look and comes free of face-melt worry if the mercury is rising. Here, a simple swipe of So Chaud is all it takes to make a statement makeup look. I love the bold colour, which reminds me of the beautiful tiger lilies in bloom right now. Mimicking the exotic flora, I paired the orange lips with a sequin blazer to add a different kind of shine. It doesn’t look like a blazer because I put it on backwards and belted it to add the back factor (who . This keeps the look exciting coming or going. Add a pair of dark wash denim and you’re ready rain or shine to hit the town.